SAXGO19 JAZZ SAXOPHONE WORKSHOP
JAZZ SAXOPHONE WORKSHOP
with Jure Pukl
Nova Gorica Music School
26–28 June 2019
Application fee: €90
During his workshop, you will be able to discuss various aspects of playing the saxophone:
- What is the difference between various saxophones, reeds and mouthpieces?
- What is the projection of sound, sound quality and how do we actually want to sound?
- What is a saxophone technique, why do we need it and how to achieve it?
- How do we build a saxophone language, improvisation vocabulary, which is closely correlated with solo transcriptions?
- Improvisation from blues to free improvisation.
- The workshop will focus also on fine-tuning the ear, recognizing intervals, the colour of the sound, the meaning and the philosophy of playing, and foremost on how to express oneself through the medium of music and how to be/become an Artist.
Jure Pukl is one of the most creative saxophonists of the younger generation of Slovene jazz musicians. In 2015, he received the Prešeren Fund Award, given by the University of Ljubljana. Through the years, he studied in Vienna, The Hague and at the Berklee College of Music (with masters such as Joe Lovano and George Garzone), and completed his Master's Degree at the University of Music and Performing Arts Graz. In his career, he starred with stars such as Dave Liebman, Branford Marsalis, Esperanza Spalding, George Lewis, Maceo Parker, Vijay Iyer, Jeff Tain Watts and many others. Jure Pukl focuses on contemporary interpretations of jazz. To date, has released 8 original CD albums that received great reviews in various specialist magazines such as Downbeat, Jazzwise, Jazz Podium, as well as on the All of Jazz portal, and in the daily newspapers The New York Times and The Guardian. In the latter, he was labelled ‘the rising star of the generation that is creating the music of the new century’. He regularly performs all over the world. Jure Pukl has been our Saxophone Ambassador to New York for many years, but this year, he will share his knowledge in person.
UJP (Public Payment Office), Postojna Branch
The registration for the competition is valid only after the full registration fee is paid.
Participants are responsible for their own meals and accommodation. Read more ...